Monday, April 13, 2015

{4.13.15}

So Saturday was super cool.. because Juan finally got baptized!

He was supposed to be baptized like 3 weeks ago.. but problem after problem got in the way, including a trip to the hospital. But by Saturday, Juan was sooo stoked to get in the water! A little background on Juan: he referred himself to be taught by the missionaries, because his friend was taking the discussions. He was super excited, and he told us, "Well, my father was a Jew, I've always wanted to learn about being Jewish, so I'm really excited for you guys to teach me about the Jewish religion." We sat there, and told him we weren't jewish. He stared for like 10 seconds before he said anything. But, after learning about the restoration he was way excited! The coolest thing about Juan: he's been smoking his entire life. He had a stroke last year, and has really high blood sugar and suffers from Diabetes. After teaching him about the Word of Wisdom, he agreed to live it and the blessings were immediate! He had a really bad limp from his stroke and couldn't stand on his own, but after giving up smoking, coffee, and alcohol, he shows us everytime we come over how easy he can walk and stand up now, and he takes his blood sugar and shows us. It's dropped from the 200's and 300's to 130's. The blessings of this Gospel are very real! His testimony is so strong and tells us everytime we come over that he's man enough to never smoke or drink again. He's an awesome example of strength and conviction and relying on the Lord. He knew he could do it through the power of Prayer. After his baptism and confirmation, he kept telling us how different he felt! I'm super grateful for this Gospel and getting to see how much it has affected and blessed one of God's Children. Hopefully I'll get to see it bless and affect many more!

I want to share some insights from my Personal Study this week. The following are taken from The Book of Mormon in the 2nd Book of Nephi, Chapter 1 Verses 13,14,21, & 23:

"O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men..""Awake! and arise from the dust... and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things...put on the armor of righteousness. Shake off the chains with which ye are bound, and come forth out of obscurity, and arise from the dust."
I've read these scriptures several times before, but they resonated with me differently this time when I read them. I've made the sacrifice to be here in Florida and serve for two years. I can put in the hours every day, I can be obedient to mission rules, and I will do good for the people here and change some people's lives, even if it's in a small way.
But I can do more, also. I can devote not only my time, sacrificing the things I've left behind like school, sports, the mountains, friends, personal desires and relationships, continually desiring them, missing them, and wishing for them. Or, I can also devote my desires. All of those things are good things to desire, miss, and want to do and have. But if I choose to leave those desires boxed up back home and focus all of my desires and thoughts on loving the people here in Florida, and giving them and God every ounce of who I am and what I can be, I will not only better change them but also myself. There are a lot of things I could do to be a better person, and a lot of things I did back home that was chaining me down. There are also thoughts from home that are chaining me down here. As I "Awake!" and "arise from the dust" to "shake off the chains" here, I will better be the representative of Christ that I want to be. Each day, I have to ask myself if I gave my all, If I'm becoming the man that I need to be not only today for these people, but for my future family. I've resounded to each day for the rest of my life, to look in the mirror and see myself wearing the Armor of Righteousness, or the Armor of God, talked about in these scriptures. We arise from the dust, because that's where came from and what God created us from.. in the scriptures, it states we were literally created from the dust. But, through Christ, we can  "come forth out of obscurity," never again being in the dark without our Savior or his Holy Spirit, but continually with his Spirit which will guide us, protect us, and uplift us.
It's not hard to change people's lives here. I'm not saying that because I'm some great missionary; in fact, I am very inadequate and need to and could be doing a lot more. But it's because God has already prepared people for us. All we do is knock on their doors, and ask them some questions. It's God who speaks to them, who teaches to them, and confirms to them. Literally the only thing we do is knock and show them His Gospel. Anyone could do it. I'm just grateful to be a part of his work and to get to benefit so immensely from it.
Love everyone! Have a great week!
Elder Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment